OxygenOffice is an OpenOffice.org variation including:
- Gstreamer (audio and video) support in Impress and Draw
- Filters for Office Open XML (Microsoft Office 2007, .docx)
- Filters for Microsoft Works (.wps) documents
- System tray quickstarter for Linux
- VBA support in Calc
- 64-bit binaries
On Fedora 7 (and maybe some other Linux systems), OxygenOffice 2.3.1 may require a little hack to get it to start.
- Download OxygenOffice Professional. I chose version 2.3.1 English.
- Unpack the tarball with this command:
tar xvzf OOo_2.3.1_071207_LinuxIntel_install.tar.gz
- Uninstall any previous OpenOffice.org:
sudo yum remove "openoffice*"
- Install the RPMs:
cd en-US/RPMS/ rpm -Uvh openoffice.org-* desktop-integration/openoffice.org-redhat-menus-*
- (optional) Delete any packages you do not want installed. For example, you may wish to delete the fonts, onlineupdate, or math packages.
- (optional) Prevent yum from upgrading OxygenOffice to Fedora's OpenOffice.org:
su -c "echo exclude=openoffice*>>/etc/yum.conf"If you already have excluded packages, you'll need to use an editor instead of this command.
- (optional) Remove Fedora's Java and install the Sun Microsystem Java Runtime Environment.
Fixing symbol lookup error
If you stop there, you may see this error in OxygenOffice 2.3.1:
/etc/openoffice.org2.3/program/javaldx: symbol lookup error: /opt/openoffice.org2.3/program/libxml2.so.2: undefined symbol: gzopen64
/etc/openoffice.org2.3/program/soffice.bin: symbol lookup error: /opt/openoffice.org2.3/program/libxml2.so.2: undefined symbol: gzopen64
To fix the error, just replace OxygenOffice's private libxml2 with the one from Fedora. The version numbers may differ slightly, so make sure to adjust them as needed. There are several /usr/lib/libxml2.so.* files, so choose the file with the longest name and the largest size. (The rest are symlinks.)
sudo cp /usr/lib/libxml2.so.2.6.31 /opt/openoffice.org2.3/program/libxml2.so.2.6.17
If you wish, enable the quickstarter in Tools > Options > OpenOffice.org > Memory. Check the box Enable systray Quickstarter.